Saturday, May 3, 2014

Social Media Ramblings

Embracing social media…honestly, it’s a love-hate relationship. Though now, I am more aware and appreciative of how these tools keep me connected with certain people that have moved away or that I just do not get to see as often.

At first, it mostly seemed a little icky that I could know such personal information about folks 
– and frankly, it still does – but now, I’ve accepted the fact that friends, acquaintances, business peers, and the like all use social media for however they deem fit for their lives. So at this point, I can’t completely question, judge, or say what?! to any posts that I might categorize as neurotic or too personal. Below summarizes my love-hate relationship.

Things I love about social media include:
·         Learning about events that are happening in my surrounding area.
·         Getting updates from friends and family (albeit it should really be a phone call or personal interaction).
·         Discovering when one of my favorite bands has a new album or upcoming concert in the area.
·         Humorous and bizarre activities that people capture and share.
·         Supporting others’ businesses, events, or activities by liking, sharing, or following. I really like this sense of being a fan.

Things I hate - well, let's say dislike strongly - about social media include:
·         Learning about awkward, personal relationship statuses
·         Announcement of specific people that are ‘in ones thoughts’ – probably a personal situation that they might not care for you to publicly acknowledge. I don’t know, but regardless it seems like it should be their choice, not yours.
·         Seeing how badly you cut yourself from a freak woodshop accident. Seriously, let’s not take the time to capture those moments and post for all to see.

With the good and bad, I have to just say ‘Yay-ish to social media outlets.’ Let's stay connected!

Neurotic rambling post, out!